What could Happen?





This was the question. I asked it of myself in rebuff to the internal negativity I was feeling when I considered committing myself to a year of Yoga.
So what can happen? Follow me as I compel myself to do or attend yoga daily for 365 days in a row. I suspect the journey shall be interesting.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Zone

Its a very cool place. I had thought maybe it was just one day or how I was feeling but here I am at day 28 and I have found the Zone.
Now I am very new to Yoga and don't really know much about it. Not the names of the poses or the reasons we do them.
This started because I own an aging body that I have been rebuilding. In that rebuilding came a lot of stiffness and pain. The answer to this as we all know is to stretch well after a workout session but my brain is on buzz and  i don't want to do it. I obviously define myself as someone who does not need to stretch. ( my body does not agree with my brain on this).
The point being, I was unaware that  there was a Zone or the Yogic sleep( Yoga Nidra) .
In Yoga Nidra, you leave the Waking state,
go through the Dreaming state,
and into the Deep Sleep state, yet remain fully awake.
I now find myself there after every practice. Knowing that I am going to relax into that state I find now that I settle more and am able to block out the noise of others leaving the room ( people really have no sense  of quietly ). Once the room is still I find myself sinking in. Its very interesting and quite cool.

The other thing I am finding is that I am amazed at my increasing flexibility. I really did expect it to take longer to see changes.
Oh and my arm is much better. Today I used it all the way through class even doing downward dog and all the flow except one. It hurts to bend it flat but its Ok. I said 30 days to heal and I am now very glad I took the time.
Being forced to slow down has allowed me to align my body so I will now get true benefit from my weight training.
Its all good. Who knew. Yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment